15.8 C
London
Thursday, September 23, 2021

Met Police will not launch investigation into Martin Bashir’s Princess Diana interview

Lord Dyson’s blistering report criticised the methods used by Bashir to obtain his exclusive 1995 interview with the princess.

It said the journalist was in “serious breach” of the BBC’s guidelines when he faked bank statements and showed them to Diana’s brother, Earl Spencer, to gain access to the Princess.

Both the Duke of Cambridge and his brother, the Duke of Sussex, issued strongly worded statements following the publication of the report, which found the broadcaster covered up “deceitful behaviour” used by Bashir to secure his headline-making interview.

Princes William and Harry condemned the BBC for its treatment of their mother, saying the interview fuelled her “fear, paranoia and isolation” and a wider “culture of exploitation and unethical practices ultimately took her life”.

Lord Hall, the former BBC director-general, later said he was “deeply sorry” for the “hurt” caused by the interview scandal, but denied there had been a “BBC cover-up”.

The corporation has also since apologised to the whistle-blower who tried to expose Bashir’s methods. Graphic designer Matt Wiessler was sidelined by the corporation after raising concerns that fake bank statements he mocked up for Mr Bashir had been used by the journalist to persuade Diana to do the interview.

Latest news
Related news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

71 − 66 =