The national holiday on November 25 is known as Ivan the Merciful, Ivan the Snowy.
Christians celebrate a church holiday on November 25 in honor of Patriarch John the Merciful, as well as the Merciful Icon of the Mother of God. People called this day Ivan the Snowy. The days were already getting much shorter.
At that time, small children were often sick, but the peak of children’s colds fell on Ivan’s day. On this date, parents prayed to the Mother of God for the good health of their children.
Our ancestors noticed that if it is hot on this day, the winter will be cold. They took a big cart on the road to pick up more goods. They also bought firewood for the winter.
In Kyivan Rus, the wedding week began on this date. Then the wedding was not played until the end of winter. Therefore, the young people tried to get married during this week. Before the wedding, the girls embroidered a towel and took it with them to the wedding. The more beautiful the towel was, the more talented the bride was considered.
What not to do on November 25
- Bad day for fishing. You can’t catch crayfish today.
- You cannot burn the leaves on this day, but you can make compost from the leaves.
- Do not ignore the advice of relatives on this day. You will need them.
Weather signs for November 25
- If it snowed today, it will lie until spring itself.
- If the winter birds – goldfinches, jays and titmice – have arrived, real winter will soon come.
- Snow falls all day – until late and cold spring.
- A lot of ash in the furnace – to rapid cooling.
- If there is severe frost in the morning, it will be frosty in the evening as well.
- The morning fog foreshadows warming today.
- Clouds float against the wind – to heavy snowfall.