28th day of the year according to the Gregorian calendar. There are 337 days left until the end of the year.
Several holidays are celebrated today – the International Day of Personal Data Protection, the International LEGO Day, the World Day of the Unemployed, the birthday of the diesel engine. Orthodox believers celebrate Paul’s Day – in honor of the memory of St. Paul of Thebes.
What is the holiday today – a list of the main celebrations
International Personal Data Protection Day has been celebrated on January 28 since 2007. This date corresponds to the anniversary of the signing of the Convention of the Council of Europe dated January 28, 1981 “On the protection of individuals with regard to automated processing of personal data”. The holiday is necessary to remind users about the importance of protecting their data on the Internet – it is necessary for the safety of both virtual and real life.
The International LEGO Day is an event that unites both adults and children. The holiday was created to honor the work of Ole Kirk Christiansenom, a carpenter and creator of the LEGO Group corporation. He founded it in 1932, and the name appeared two years later. It is interesting that it consists of two words “leg gotd”, which literally means “play well”.
Interesting fact: the popularity of the constructor is so great that in 2011 several sets even visited space.
The World Day of the Unemployed on January 28 is not exactly a holiday, but rather a commemorative date created to draw public attention to the problem of unemployment. It is not known who exactly initiated the holiday, but this person’s goal is good. The fact is that due to the high level of unemployment, millions of people are left without means of livelihood. It is precisely because of the lack of work that people organize rallies and strikes, which leads to social and political crises.
The birthday of the diesel engine is celebrated today, because it was on January 28, 1897 that the German engineer Rudolf Diesel completed the tests of his own invented diesel engine. At that time, only internal combustion engines were used, but it was impossible to give them positive ratings – the efficiency was too low. That is why Diesel’s invention became a breakthrough.
Another holiday that is celebrated all over the world today is the day of the discovery of Antarctica. On January 28, 1920, after two years of travel, the members of the team of Lazarev and Bellingshausen saw the shores of an unknown continent. It became Antarctica – the driest and coldest place on the planet. Now NASA astronauts are training there, because the climate and landscape of Antarctica is like a trip to Mars.
What a church holiday today – the day of memory of Paul of Fivei
Saint Paul was born in Egypt and lost his parents early. Running from the city, hiding from greedy relatives who want to take away the boy’s inheritance. Disbelieving, Pavlo found a cave, which became his home. Birds brought him food, and the saint constantly spent time in prayers. He became the first long-lived Christian hermit monk – he lived alone for 91 years and died at the age of 113.
Memorial dates of January 28
This day was remembered in history for many interesting events:
- 1813 – Jane Austen’s novel “Pride and Prejudice” was published;
- 1855 – the first locomotive runs on the Panama Railroad from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean;
- 1920 – the Ivan Franko Ukrainian Drama Theater opens in Vinnytsia with Volodymyr Vinnichenko’s performance “Sin” (now it is the Ivan Franko National Academic Drama Theater;
- 1986 – the American spaceship “Challenger” crashed.;
- 1992 – a resolution on the State flag was adopted at the session of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine;
- 2010 – the President of Ukraine, Viktor Yushchenko, by a decree on the perpetuation of the participants in the struggle for the independence of Ukraine in the 20th century, recognizes the soldiers of the UPA as participants in the struggle for the independence of Ukraine.
Signs and folk beliefs on January 28
In honor of the memory of St. Paul of Thebes, the holiday of St. Paul’s Day appeared in the national calendar. According to the old style, this event is celebrated on January 15. The second name of the holiday is Wizards’ Day. It is believed that it is on this date that magicians, healers and witches can pass on their knowledge to students. Beginners need to try themselves in the art of magic, so everyone around them should be wary of such people.
In order to protect yourself, on this day you cannot:
- eat a lot and drink alcohol;
- quarrel and gossip;
- perform hard physical work;
- communicate with strangers;
- leave the house after midnight.
It is better to spend the day in prayer, to sneeze more often over the left shoulder and knock on wood to neutralize the negative influence of dark forces.
Our ancestors noticed that if the weather is good on this day, then autumn will be like that.
- birds chirping under the window – to a blizzard;
- the wind blows – the summer will be rainy;
- crows cawing loudly – until the thaw;
- there are many stars in the sky – to a good harvest of flax.
The Slavs used to say “Pavlo added a day”, because from January 28 the daylight hours become longer and the nights shorter.
Name day on January 28
Today, the owners of the name of Elena, Mykhailo, Pavlo, Prokhor, Ivan celebrate the day of the angel.